I am a faculty member, consultant, and open education advocate. As an educator, I teach a variety of courses related to human-environment issues, environmental science, and geospatial science. More about my teaching and research can be found on this website. My current academic affiliations include:
- Affiliated Assistant Professor, Department of Geography at the University of British Columbia
- College Professor, Department of Geography, Earth, and Environmental Sciences at Okanagan College
- Hewlett Foundation Open Education Resources Research Fellow 2016-2018
- BCcampus Faculty Fellow for Open Education Resources 2015-2016
My consulting work supports the following initiatives:
- Integrating open education practices into higher education curriculum and institutional settings – specifically for Geography, GIScience, and Environmental Science.
- Developing programs for increasing research capacity for environmental management and agricultural development in low resource environments. I have worked in this field since 2001 contracting with several international organizations including Winrock, the World Agroforestry Centre, BirdLife International, and USAID.
- Designing geographic information systems and supporting GIScience research for human rights and peacebuilding. Since 2005, I have assisted on several projects with institutions such as the ICRC and Environmental Law Institute.